News forum

Cultural Suitcase

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Cultural Suitcase
by Sherisse Norris - Tuesday, 10 January 2017, 5:00 PM

Hi Parents ~ Today we did a special activity called 'Breakout EDU' where they had to work together as a class to 'break' into a box that introduced our Social Studies focus this term. Inside the box was a letter explaining the cultural suitcase activity for this month. The students are bringing home the letter today but I've also attached it to this email. It invites them to bring in some artifacts, pictures, anything that can tell the story of their family coming to Canada. I filled the box with my cultural suitcase to share with the class today and give an example of what they could bring. I shared my grandmother's Scottish sash and talked about when my grandparents came to Canada and a little bit about traditional Scottish attire. I also brought my mother's dirndl dress from Germany and shared some of my favourite German cookies while sharing about when my Oma & Opa came to Canada. This is not meant to be a big project. Just a couple of items to help tell the story of where our families came from, before Canada. We will be keeping track of the different countries represented on a map in class. There is no specific date for when they need to be in. Students are invited to share as they collect their objects any time in January.

Let me know if you have any questions.
-Sherisse