News forum

Monday, January 9, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, January 9, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 9 January 2017, 4:38 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• We have space in the computer lab in the morning for Reflex Math. If your child could use some extra practice, our lab is open at 8:00am every morning and is supervised by an EA. Let me know if your child would like to use this time to practice their facts and I can put their name on the list. 
  • Lochside Trail walk is on Wednesday, weather permitting. Feel free to join us by signing up here.
  • Grade 4s have FSAs coming up at the end of January and February. Two letters can home today with information on the FSAs.

Spelling

• Unit 15 focuses on the /yoo/ sounds as in curfew. It also focuses on the /oo/ sound as in smoother. The /oo/ sound can also be spelled 'ew' as in mildew, 'ue' as in pursued, and 'ui' as in fruitful. 'ui' can also spell the /i/ sound as in biscuit.

Reading/Writing Studio

• This week we will be getting back into our routine or reading and writing each day.
  • This week and next we'll be focusing on conflict in stories. There are 4 types of conflicts: character vs character, character vs self, character vs. society, and character vs nature. We are reading picture books and discussing each conflict then noting the type of conflict in our independent books.
  • This week in writing the students are starting a 'Writing Form Tic Tac Toe' where they choose a row in a tic tac toe board with 3 different types of forms to try out. Our writing forms are: poem, research report, review, graphic novel, summary, biography, and story.

Numeracy

• We are starting multiplication this week. We are focusing on factors and multiples this week. Grade 5s are also learning about prime and composite numbers. I will be adjusting everyone's reflex math to work on multiplication. To support your child's learning this month, using Reflex at home 2-3 times a week is essential as well as playing card/dice games that support basic facts. Attached is a pdf with some suggested games for addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

Social Studies

• We will be kicking off our social studies unit with an exciting experience tomorrow. Students will be coming home with an assignment they will need help with at home. More details to come!

Gym

• We will be starting basketball this week with some dribbling practice.

Friday Journal

• Friday Journals will be coming home again this Friday. We are focusing on writing stronger sentences. Look out for 'complex sentences' in your child's writing.