News forum

Monday, January 16, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, January 16, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 16 January 2017, 5:25 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• Thank you to those families who have already sent in their cultural 'suitcases.' We have loved hearing the stories of our ancestors and mapping where families have come from prior to Canada. Remember if your child hasn't brought in their suitcase yet, they still have the next 2 weeks to share.
  • We have space in the computer lab in the morning for Reflex Math. If your child could use some extra practice, our lab is open at 8:00am every morning and is supervised by an EA. Let me know if your child would like to use this time to practice their facts and I can put their name on the list. 
  • Lochside Trail walk is on Wednesday, weather permitting. Feel free to join us by signing up here.
  • Family Literacy Day is coming up Friday, January 27th. Families (parents and grandparents) are invited to join us for reading in the classroom from 8:40-9:05am.

Spelling

• Unit 16 focuses on the letters 'ay' and 'ai' that make the /a/ sound in crayons and praised. The letters 'oy' and 'oi' make the /oi/ sound in oysters and rejoicing.

Reading/Writing Studio

• This week we continue to talk about the 4 different types of conflict in stories and will add to our list some of the books we have been reading in class and categorize them as character vs character, character vs society, character vs self, or character vs nature.
  • Today the students were so focused on their tic-tac-toe writing job. I took a picture of their choices and will post it on FreshGrade this week so you can see what they are working on. They are taking the time to prewrite, write a rough draft, revise/edit, and then publish using google docs. Students have been sharing their document with me so I can give feedback and suggestions prior to printing.

Numeracy

• We are continuing multiplication this week and focusing on strategies to help us solve facts quickly. We noticed patterns for x0, x1, and x10. Grade 5s are reviewing multiplication and division facts to 144 and multiplying with multiples of 10. I.e. 31x10, 31x100, 31x1000, etc.

Social Studies

• Today we started our immigration unit by recognizing that we are in Canada because someone in our family came here whether that was recently or hundreds of years ago. This week we continue to learn about the develop of Canada and immigration as we learn about the arrival of the French and the British in Canada.

Gym

• We continue to work on our basketball skills in class with some passing practice this week. We will work on our chest pass and bounce pass.

Friday Journal

• Friday Journals will be coming home again this Friday. We will talk about paragraphs and when to start a new paragraph.

G Suite

• We have enjoyed using the many different tools G Suite has to offer. Last week we learned how to insert an image into a google doc. This week the students will be introduced to google drawings. We will be creating a drawing to show the elements of a story we read last term.
  • Did you know your student can access their account from home? I encourage you to have your son/daughter show you their google drive and the assignments they have been working on at school. Students log in by going to http://www.google.com and clicking the Sign In button. The student will use his or her full Gmail email address (ie studentnumber@students.sd63.bc.ca) and password (student created). I asked the students last term to write down their email address and password in their agendas.