News forum

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Tuesday, November 15, 2016
by Sherisse Norris - Tuesday, 15 November 2016, 5:12 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• Lochside Trail walk is on Wednesday, weather permitting. Feel free to join us by signing up here.
  • The book fair is at Lochside starting on Friday. A notice went home about it today.
  • Report cards will be sent to you either on December 1st or 2nd. I will be completing report cards through FreshGrade where you will be able to view, save it as a pdf to your computer, or print it. If you would prefer I am able to print it off at the school and send home a paper copy. Please email me if this is your preference. If you haven't yet signed up for FreshGrade I will resend the invite this week. 
  • I will be away this Friday attending the GAFE (Google Apps for Education) Summit here in Victoria. I am excited for a day of learning, sharing ideas, and bringing back some ideas to use with our staff and students here at Lochside. Ms. Sundher will be our 'guest teacher' on Friday.

Spelling

• Lesson 10 focuses on the /ear/ sound which can be spelled 'ear' but sounds like /ur/ as in earnest and earning. The letters 'ear' can also make the /ir/ sound as in years and appeared. Sometimes /er/ sound can be spelled 'are' as in barely or 'air' as in stairway.

Reading Studio

• This week during our studio I am meeting with each student to show them what they have done well throughout the term and areas that we will be working on.
Writing Studio

• We will be learning about persuasive letters and will practice how to write one.

Gym

• It's our final week of the soccer tournament. We have 4 teams: Green Herons, Lizards, Blueberries, and Tigers. Ask your child which team they are on.

Numeracy

• We have finished up mental math for addition and will be moving on to adding 3 and 4 digit numbers. We will share strategies for adding larger numbers.

Social Studies/Science

• Today we started to research our body system using websites for information. On Wednesday we will be using books, posters, and visuals to gather more information on our body system.