News forum

Monday, June 20, 2016

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, June 20, 2016
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 20 June 2016, 4:43 PM

Reminders:

• Pick-up/drop-off will be around the back of the school on the pavement by the stairs leading up to the gym (It is a triangular-shaped concrete area with a tether ball pole and white circle painted on the ground). Our class will line-up to the left of the stairs and Mrs. Takhar's class will line-up to the right of the stairs. Our temporary classrooms have outside doors opening up into that area that Mrs. Takhar and I will open to greet the children and bring them in when the morning bell rings. I will ask the children to not play on the stairs but to line-up against the wall. I would appreciate your help reminding the children of this.
  • In order for us to enjoy and have a successful 'Nature Kindergarten' experience for the final 8 days, it is imperative that your child come prepared each day as follows:
  • appropriate footwear for walking longer distances (i.e. running shoes recommended, no 'party' shoes or flip flops, boots may be appropriate if it is raining)
  • appropriate clothing to spend the majority of the day outdoors (i.e. comfortable clothes to play and move in, light sweater for cooler weather)
  • a light jacket (with a hood is preferable) for rain or wind
  • hat and sunscreen
  • water bottle
  • small morning snack to be kept separate in their backpack (i.e. not in their lunch kit) Note: please send something that can be eaten easily outside such as a granola bar or apple.
  • We will be leaving around 9:00am for all of our morning 'field' trips which means we need each family to arrive to school on time. Students will be signing in, pulling out their lunch kit to leave in the classroom, and ready with their packed backpack. Children will be responsible for carrying their own backpacks. We will return from our trips by 11:00am and spend the remainder of the day at Lochside. You may want to send in a bag of extra clothes to store in our classroom in case a change is needed after our morning play outside. Some children still have a bag of extra clothes in our bin but many do not. Feel free to check our extra clothes bin. It is sitting by the piano in the multi-purpose room.
  • Library books are now due. Please return ASAP either directly to the library or in our classroom bin.
  • I have been documenting the children's learning through photographs and videos throughout the year. If you would like me to share these with you, please send in a USB stick in a small baggie clearly labelled with your child's name. I will load the pictures on the stick and hand it back to you either before the last day or in your child's report card envelope.
  • Also, as we pack up our belongings and send them home, it would be appreciated if you could send in a reusable grocery bag clearly labelled with your child's name by Monday, June 27th.
  • Our last day of classes is on Wednesday, June 29th. Report cards go home on this day. New to our K report cards this term are expectations. In school we use this term to let you know how your child is doing in the areas of literacy (reading and writing), numeracy, social responsibility, and daily physical activity. There are 4 categories: Meeting (the student is able to complete/follow the expectations with minimal support), Working Towards (the student needs support to complete/follow expectations), Fully Meeting (the student completes/follows expectations independently), Exceeding (the student takes initiative to go above and beyond expectations and shows a passion for learning in that area). I am finishing up assessments this week. If you would like to have a discussion about your child's progress before the end of the year, I will be available the last 2 weeks between June 20-28th. Please contact me to set up an appointment.

Upcoming Dates:

• Tuesday, June 21st: McMinn Park
  • Wednesday, June 22nd: Outerbridge Park
  • Thursday, June 23rd: Fun Day! This is a full morning of fun in the morning. Teachers have organized various stations for children to participate in. I will buddy our class up with one of their friends and they can go from station-to-station together. You will want to dress your child in comfortable clothes to move and run in. Bathing suit and towel are optional. There is a 'Lochside Waterslide' for one of the stations.
  • Tuesday, June 28th: McMinn Park & Kindergarten Celebration (Parents are invited to join us at 2:00pm in the multi-purpose room for songs, snacks, and a slideshow to wrap-up the year)
  • Wednesday, June 29th: Last day and final assembly in the morning.