News forum

Monday, June 13, 2016

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, June 13, 2016
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 13 June 2016, 4:30 PM

Upcoming Dates / Reminders:

• Our year end all day field trip with all of our Kindergarten friends will be happening on Thursday this week at Island View Beach. Permission forms should be in by now with the $3.25 to cover the lifeguards and bus. We will be at Island View from 10am-2pm. Parents are welcome to meet us there. We will be leaving by bus at 9:30pm and returning by 2:30pm. Don't forget to sign-up for food if you haven't already. There is also a list of items to bring at the top of the page for a successful beach day. We are needing a portable BBQ for the hot dogs. Let me know if you have one to bring. Here is the link for the sign-up: Island View Beach Sign-Up
  • We will not be having book exchange again this school year, so please return all library books as soon as possible.
  • No Read Around the Room this Friday. Friday is moving day for our classroom. We will meet in the regular spot and will be using the library and the French room for the morning until our temporary classroom, the multi-purpose room, is ready. Hopefully by lunch.
  • Since we are in the process of packing up the classroom this week, I had a conversation with the children about leaving their toys, stuffies, pokemon cards, costumes, etc., at home. I explained to the children that we don't want their personal items to get mixed up with the classroom and get packed away. I would appreciate your help in keeping personal items at home.
  • Next Monday starts our 'Nature Kindergarten' for the last 2 weeks of school. It will be very important to send your child to school next week ready to spend most of the day outside. Having a backpack with their lunch kit, a separate snack for the morning set aside, a water bottle, a light rain/wind jacket, hat, sunscreen, and comfortable shoes to walk in, is a necessity. Packing some extra clothes in case we get wet is also a great idea. Recently I have noticed that many students do not have water bottles and have been using the water fountains. Water bottles are very important to have for our morning trips off school property. Please do not send 'sticky' drinks such as juice for our out trips as this attracts bees/wasps.
  • Our last day of classes is on Wednesday, June 29th. Report cards go home on this day. New to our K report cards this term are expectations. In school we use this term to let you know how your child is doing in the areas of literacy (reading and writing), numeracy, social responsibility, and daily physical activity. There are 4 categories: Meeting (the student is able to complete/follow the expectations with minimal support), Working Towards (the student needs support to complete/follow expectations), Fully Meeting (the student completes/follows expectations independently), Exceeding (the student takes initiative to go above and beyond expectations and shows a passion for learning in that area). I am finishing up assessments this week. If you would like to have a discussion about your child's progress before the end of the year, I will be available the last 2 weeks between June 20-28th. Please contact me to set up an appointment.