News forum

Monday, February 22, 2016

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, February 22, 2016
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 22 February 2016, 5:47 PM

Thank you, parents, for all the support last week. From Valentine's Day, to 100th Day, to the field trip to the museum...it was a busy week! I could not do it without you. Thank you! P.s. I LOVED seeing the children dressed up as 100 year olds. One of my favourite memories was seeing one of the students using his cane to help him as he was cleaning up from Centers. So great!

Upcoming Dates / Reminders:

• Pink Shirt Day to support anti-bullying is on Wednesday. If your child does not have a Pink Shirt, anything pink will do....hair decor, bracelet, pants, shoes, etc. Finger knitting has been very popular at Lochside and Mme. Hillier has organized buddy classes to pair up and finger knit each other a pink bracelet. We will be making ours with our buddies tomorrow so it will be ready for Wednesday.
  • Book Exchange is on Thursday this week.
  • Read Around the Room will resume this Friday, 8:40-9:00am in our class. All are welcome.
  • A notice on a fundraiser will be coming home this week as well as new book order forms. Please have you book orders in by Monday next week.
  • Lochside is having an Early Dismissal day coming up on Thursday, March 3rd at 1:43pm. Our class will be having an Open House from 2-5pm. Families are invited in the classroom during that time so children can share their work. If you are not able to make it within the time frame, I will leave out your child's work so you can still come in past 5pm.
  • A new Special Helper job has started, 'Cultural Suitcase.' During our Morning Meetings we discovered that we have many Chinese friends in our class. Other children shared where their families are from, so for our next Special Helper job, students are invited to fill the suitcase with items that share their families culture(s), traditions, customs, background, interests, etc...anything that defines who they are. They could bring objects, artifacts, food to share (nut-free), clothing, and/or photographs that relate to their family culture and identity. I am excited to see the diversity and similarities in our class! Let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Dear Lochside Families, 

Have you heard of our amazing cookbook project?!? Please read the attached document for more information and instructions. You only have two weeks to get your delicious recipes in! From the students of division 4 and division 5.

***Please see attached poster about the Lochside cookbook at the bottom of this post.

Classroom News:

Social Responsibility: We continue to talk about FAIRNESS. We can show fairness by sharing, taking turns, and cooperating.

Literacy: This week we are focusing on the letters Dd and Gg. We will also be getting into some nursery rhymes over the next couple of weeks before Spring Break. Nursery rhymes give us a chance to play with language, sequencing, and even link to numeracy, art, and practise our fine motor skills through a variety of activities.

Science: Today we started a new inquiry, what makes something sink or float? We were surprised by our candy heart experiment last week. Did you see our video on twitter (@missnorris63) Some thought candy hearts would always float because they are light, but one friend reminded us that our pumpkins floated too, but they are very heavy. Today we put a boat one of our friends made in water and saw that it floated. This week we will explore many different objects and materials and document what we learned about sinking and floating.

Gym: We are continuing our dance unit this week.