News forum

Monday, February 29, 2016

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, February 29, 2016
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 29 February 2016, 8:35 PM

Upcoming Dates / Reminders:

• Book Exchange is on Thursday this week. Poem duotangs for both February and March will be going home next week.
  • Early Dismissal is this Thursday at Lochside. Students will be dismissed at 1:43pm. Our class will be hosting an Open House from 2-5pm. Students will be sharing their learning through portfolios, pictures, videos, and an activity. Please make time to come in and have your child guide you in this student-led 'conference.' If you are not able to make it within the time frame, I will leave out your child's work so you can still come in past 5pm.  
  • Term 2 report cards will be going home next week. I generally do not conference with each family for Term 2; however if you would like a formal conference, I am more than happy to discuss your child's progress and build some goals for the final term. I am available for parent-teacher conferences next week, March 7-11. I am also available to conference after Spring Break.
  • Read Around the Room this Friday, 8:40-9:00am in our class. All are welcome.
  • Fun Lunch is this Friday.
  • A new Special Helper job has started, 'Cultural Suitcase.' During our Morning Meetings we discovered that we have many Chinese friends in our class. Other children shared where their families are from, so for our next Special Helper job, students are invited to fill the suitcase with items that share their families culture(s), traditions, customs, background, interests, etc...anything that defines who they are. They could bring objects, artifacts, food to share (nut-free), clothing, and/or photographs that relate to their family culture and identity. I am excited to see the diversity and similarities in our class! Let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Dear Lochside Families, 

Have you heard of our amazing cookbook project?!? Please read the attached document for more information and instructions. We are needing more recipes---you have one week to get your delicious recipes in! 

From the students of division 4 and division 5.

***Please see attached poster about the Lochside cookbook at the bottom of this post.

Classroom News:

Social Responsibility: We are finishing up Fairness and will be focusing on Honesty until Spring Break. This week we will talk about being honest with yourself and accepting responsibility.

Literacy: This week we are focusing on the letter Oo. We will also be getting into some nursery rhymes over the next couple of weeks before Spring Break. Nursery rhymes give us a chance to play with language, sequencing, and even link to numeracy, art, and practise our fine motor skills through a variety of activities.

Science: We are continuing to look at what makes something sink or float. Last week we played with materials found around the school. This week we will experiment with fruits and vegetables. Students are encouraged to draw/write their observations during Free Exploration (Centres). We also do class experiments and practice drawing/writing our observations together.

Gym: We are continuing our dance unit this week with a Bird and Squirrel dance.