News forum

Monday, October 26, 2015

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, October 26, 2015
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 26 October 2015, 4:21 PM

Upcoming Dates / Reminders:

• Next field trip we will be needing parent drivers (Nov. .  If you haven't already, pick up the forms from the office to register as a driver and the form to take to get your criminal records check and fee waived.
  • Halloween is on Saturday this year but on Friday, October 30th Lochside will be having a 'Wacky Hair Day.'  In the evening LEPAC is hosting an event at 5:30pm where families are invited to wear their costumes and come for some Halloween fun at the school.
  • November Scholastic book order forms are going home today.  Please return by Friday if you'd like to put in an order.
  • Next week, November 3, 4, and 5, Lochside will be dismissing early at 1:48pm so parents and teachers can conference.  I have my families sign up online using Google Docs.  Simply follow the link, find an empty box next to the time and preferred day and fill in your child's first name only.  No need to save, it automatically does it.  Simply close the window and you are done!  If you need to change, you can delete your name and fill in a different empty slot.  If you have any troubles, let me know and I'd be happy to help out.  Note: If you are trying to access the file via iPad or smart phone, you will need to go through the Google Docs app, otherwise you will not be able to edit.  You do not need an account to access this document on a desktop.  Here is the link:

Classroom News:

Speaking & Listening:

• This week we continue to focus on being a good friend to others by showing respect.  We can play fair and follow the rules.  We can listen and speak kindly.  We can share and wait my turn.

Reading & Writing:

• Letters: We are finishing up the letters this week with Qq, Vv, and we learned Zz last week too.  We will continue to talk about all the letters throughout the year and review the sounds and formation of the letters.

Science:

• Today we used our pumpkins to do a little math.  We measured the height of our pumpkins, noticed the size, counted how many ribs were on the pumpkin, and did an experiment to see if our pumpkins sink or float.  Our pumpkins will be going home today and we will continue to learn about pumpkins this week and do some art with pumpkins.

Music:

• We are looking forward to another singing class with Mrs. Chater as we practice our songs for the Christmas concert.

Gym:

• This week we will start tossing and catching skills in the gym, first using bean bags to toss to ourselves, towards a target, and finally with a partner.