News forum

Monday, October 5, 2015

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, October 5, 2015
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 5 October 2015, 3:42 PM

As the weather changes, please remember to send your child to school with appropriate clothing.  We still go outside if it is raining lightly so rain jackets and boots are handy.  Especially when I take the class outside to play on the rocks as a class and explore the pools and water works after a rainfall.

Upcoming Dates / Reminders:

• Fundraiser books went home on Friday.  If you don't want to participate, simply return the book in the envelope provided.
  • Poem books went home in our library bags on Thursday.  These will go home at the end of each month.  You can have your child read their class poems with you and return the duotang along with the library books.  Remember our library day is Thursdays and books need to be returned before then.
  • Read Around The Room starts this Friday.  Parents are invited to come in from 8:40-9:00am and read with us around the room.  Books will be out on the tables and families can read wherever they'd like with their child in our room.  If mom or dad can't make it, grandparents or others family members are welcome to attend.  If an adult can't make it, I pair up the child with a friend.  This will happen every Friday that class is in session, unless otherwise noted.  No need to sign-up, just show up.
  • I would like to do some art around fall leaves and make a wreath to take home for Thanksgiving.  I would like each student to collect 10 leaves (any size and colour) and put them in a labelled bag with their name by Thursday. 
  • We have a couple of field trips coming up this month.  Thank you for those who have already returned the Galey form.  Today our bus safety form went home which has been moved to Tuesday, October 13th.
  • In the future we will go on field trips that require parent drivers.  Each parent driver needs a criminal record check completed.  Now is a good time to get that done.
  • Scholastic orders from September will be coming home this week as well as the order forms for October.  If you'd like to place an order, please return by Tuesday next week.
  • No school next Monday.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
  • Pictures from Photo Day went home today.  Orders need to be in by the 15th.
  • Don't forget to return the plastic sleeves so we can reuse them for notices!

Classroom News:

Letters:

• Last week we learned about the letters M, B, N, I, and G.  This week we will focus on E, P, D, S, and H.  The students have been enjoying talking about these letters, the sounds they make, and what words we know that either start with that letter or have it in it.  Some friends have been writing these words on the back of their letter pages. 

Speaking & Listening:

• Last week we read a book about having good manners, called 'Do Unto Otters', a book about manners.  We are learning that manners are very important at school.  One manner we are working on is remembering to take turns talking by raising our hand on the carpet or noticing when someone is speaking, and waiting patiently until they are finished.

Reading & Writing:

• This week we will be learning a poem about Thanksgiving and reading some books about being thankful.
  • It is exciting to see the children writing a lot during their Centers time.  Either students will ask me to help them with spelling, they will write the sounds they hear, or they will copy something they see in the classroom.  It is great to see them interested in writing so early in the year.

Science:

• We are continuing to wonder about fall.  Our class came up with 2 big questions: 1) Why do leaves change colour?, and 2) Why do leaves fall to the ground?  We are reading lots of books and spending some time exploring outside to help us with our wonderings.  Today we went on a hunt to see how many different colours of leaves we could find outside.

Music:

• Tomorrow is our second music class with Mrs. Chater.  We had fun learning some new songs with silly actions last week.

Gym:

• This month we are focusing on moving safely in the gym, looking for empty spaces, trying not to bump into our friends.  This week we will try moving in a variety of ways throughout the gym and play some games with our friends.