News forum

Monday, October 22, 2018

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, October 22, 2018
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 22 October 2018, 3:58 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Trail Walk is on Wednesday! We will be on the trail from 8:50-9:20am. Parents and grandparents are welcome to join us.
  • Photo Retakes are on Wednesday this week.
  • FreshGrade has our new classes loaded and I have made a reading post with more to come from September to October. I sending an invite through email from FreshGrade to invite you to sign-up to view your child's portfolio. I invite you to view and respond to the posts. Students will be looking at these too so using the 'comment' boxes is a great way to have a conversation on your child's progress, between your child, the teacher, and you as parents.
  • Are you looking for some extra Reflex math practice for your child? At Lochside we have a Morning Math Club, Monday-Friday mornings starting at 8AM. Kids will be welcomed and supervised by Mrs. Hockey, who knows the Reflex math program well and can help the kids log in and stay focused on the games and learning tasks.  This will help the kids increase their foundation skills with basic facts. I am hoping to sign up one or two from our class to take advantage of this extra learning opportunity. Please let me know if your son/daughter would be interested in attending.

Here's what we're up to in class:

• Spelling: Unit 5 is looking at silent consonants such as the letters B, K, and GH.
  • Gym: We have been practising soccer skills and will be starting a soccer tournament this week. Ask your child the name of their team after Tuesday's class.
  • Math: This week we are using benchmarks to help us with rounding. I have introduced the class to levelled assignments where they are choosing math at their level. Ask your child which level they worked on today.
  • Reading Studio: The students are starting to fill up their reading logs with finished books. This week I am introducing them to three ways they can report back on their books. They will choose from a book talk in front of the class on Fridays, a video using an iPad app to share with the class, or a reading conference with Miss Norris.
  • Science: This week are starting a new topic in Science but...SHHHH!....it's a secret. Our topic is locked in a box and the class will have to breakout in order to find out our next unit of study. Ask on Thursday if they broke-out and found out the new unit.