News forum

Monday, October 29, 2018

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, October 29, 2018
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 29 October 2018, 9:27 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Trail Walk is on Wednesday! We will be on the trail from 8:50-9:20am. Parents and grandparents are welcome to join us. It is also Halloween on Wednesday. Students are invited to participate in Wacky Hair Day!
  • FreshGrade invites have been sent via email. Please check for the link and sign up to view your child's portfolio. I invite you to view and respond to the posts. Students will be looking at these too so using the 'comment' boxes is a great way to have a conversation on your child's progress, between your child, the teacher, and you as parents.
  • Parent/Teacher conferences are coming up on Lochside’s early dismissal days. Students will be dismissed at 1:48pm on: Tuesday, November 6th, Wednesday, November 7th, and Thursday, November 8th. After dismissal I would like to meet with families to share your student’s strengths, areas to grow in, and any other important information that needs to be discussed. I have created a Google Doc to sign up for one 15-20 minute interview per student. Please let me know if you have difficulties accessing the document or finding an interview time that suits your needs. Click here to sign-up.
  • Are you looking for some extra Reflex math practice for your child? At Lochside we have a Morning Math Club, Monday-Friday mornings starting at 8AM. Kids will be welcomed and supervised by Mrs. Hockey, who knows the Reflex math program well and can help the kids log in and stay focused on the games and learning tasks.  This will help the kids increase their foundation skills with basic facts. I am hoping to sign up one or two from our class to take advantage of this extra learning opportunity. Please let me know if your son/daughter would be interested in attending.

Here's what we're up to in class:

• Spelling: Unit 7 is looking at the letter S. Today we sorted our words into 3 categories, when 's' sounds like /zh/ as in measure, when 's' sounds like /z/ as in resemble, and when 's' sounds like /s/ as in purpose.
  • Gym: Our tournament is over and we are having a games week before we start our next sport.
  • Math: This week we are finishing up number sense with comparing and ordering numbers.
  • Reading Studio: Students are already excited to share what they're reading. Some will give a book talk in front of the class on Friday, others have created a video using an iPad app about their book, they can also choose a reading conference with Miss Norris. Ask your child if they completed one of these this week.
  • Science: We have begun a unit on solutions and solubility. We will be exploring how solutions (e.g., apple juice, coffee) can be separated through distillation, evaporation, and crystallization. We will explore the solubility of solids, liquids, and gases (e.g., salt [solid], honey [liquid], carbon dioxide [gas in water makes pop]). We will also look at the properties of solutions: concentration, pH, etc. Last week to kick off our unit we made a mixture...Polyjuice Potion! Some of the students wanted the recipe. I'll attach a pdf to this post.
  • Computers // Media: We are beginning to use computers and iPads in the classroom to transform our learning. Last week we talked about appropriate use of the devices. We also talked about media choices and distinguished between healthy choices, non-healthy choices, and set a goal for the week.