News forum

Monday, October 15, 2018

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, October 15, 2018
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 15 October 2018, 5:27 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Trail Walk is on Wednesday! We will be on the trail from 8:50-9:20am. Parents and grandparents are welcome to join us.
  • No school this Friday for students. Teachers in session only. I am looking forward to Professional Development with Future Design School up at Royal Oak Middle School.
  • Are you looking for some extra Reflex math practice for your child? At Lochside we have a Morning Math Club, Monday-Friday mornings starting at 8AM. Kids will be welcomed and supervised by Mrs. Hockey, who knows the Reflex math program well and can help the kids log in and stay focused on the games and learning tasks.  This will help the kids increase their foundation skills with basic facts. I am hoping to sign up one or two from our class to take advantage of this extra learning opportunity. Please let me know if your son/daughter would be interested in attending.

Here's what we're up to in class:

• Spelling: Review week! We are looking back over the previous week's lessons and word patterns.
  • Gym: We have been practising soccer skills and will practice some game play this week.
  • Math: This week we are practicing placing larger numbers on a number line. We are learning about benchmark number (for example, 0, 500, 1000, etc.) that help us place numbers on a number line. Next we will use these benchmarks to help us with rounding.
  • Reading Studio: We continue to work on building good reading habits. One strategy to help us is to follow the story mountain in our story and be able to talk about the setting, key events, and conflict and problem.
  • S.S.: This week we will be participating in B.C.'s student vote in the upcoming municipal election. This week we will be reviewing the mayoral and councillor candidates running in Saanich.