News forum

Monday, June 4, 2018

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, June 4, 2018
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 4 June 2018, 4:18 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Trail Walk is on Wednesday. Parents are welcome to join us, 8:45-9:30am.
  • Field trip to Swan Lake is coming up on June 11th. Permission forms are due this week along with $3 for the bus fee. I am still needing one or two parents to join us on this trip.
  • Track Meet June 14th this year. Permission forms are due.
  • Bike Trip permission form is coming home this week. There's a spot on the form to indicate if adults would like to join us. There is no Bide Rodeo this year at Lochside. This is when I had students bring their bikes and helmets to school so I can check them out before the trip. We'll talk as a class and see if there's a day to bring their bikes for a quick check before our field trip.

Spelling: Our next unit focuses on irregular plurals. Some singular nouns, like moose, do not change when they become plurals. When singular nouns end in 'f' or 'fe', usually change the 'f' or 'fe' to 'v' and add -es. For example, calf becomes calves. Some words are exceptions to this rule, such as chiefs. Words that end in 'ff' also form plural by adding 's'. Cuff becomes cuffs. When singular nouns end in 'o', add 's' to form the plural as in radios. Some nouns that end in 'o' take 'es' to form the plural. For example, potato becomes potatoes.

Math: We are currently working through a booklet on fractions and decimals. Grade 4s are working on decimals to hundredths, addition and subtraction of decimals to hundredths, as well as ordering and comparing fractions. Grade 5s are extending decimals to thousandths, addition and subtraction of decimals to thousandths, look at equivalent fractions, as well as whole-number, fraction, and decimal benchmarks.

Gym: This week we are doing some track practice and will be doing a mini unit on badminton as well.

Reading Studio: We have a goal to finish our books this week along with their summaries.

Science/Computers/Writing Studio: We are finishing our coding challenges this week and will be starting to code our video game. In writing we are writing paragraphs to go along with our game about it, the characters, and our biome research.