News forum

Monday, May 7, 2018

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, May 7, 2018
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 7 May 2018, 4:47 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Trail Walk is on Wednesday. Parents are welcome to join us, 8:45-9:30am. 
  • Reminder of the notice that went home last week tomorrow about our final Grade 5 camp funds. After the fundraising, just another $23 is needed to add to the first instalment of $115. The fundraising team raised about $85 per student for camp! A huge thank you to families who supported the fundraising efforts.
  • In June, during the second to last week of school, I would like to propose a class bike trip as a celebration to the end of our year. Last year we did this trip and it was a fabulous way to wrap up the year. We rode our bikes on the Lochside trail to Michell's Farm, ate the lunch we packed in our backpacks, rode back on the Lochside trail, and stopped at Mattick's Farm for ice cream before returning to the school. We left in the morning and returned by the end of the day. In order to make this trip successful, we need parents to support us and ride with us. If you think you could join us, could you send me an email showing your interest? I am looking at going June 18, 19, or 20th. We would need 5 parents to join us. Also each child would need a bike. If your child does not have a bike, let me know and I can round one up for them. I would really like our entire group to be there on the trip together.

Math: We continue with division this week, building our tool kit to work with a variety of larger numbers in division. We have been focusing on thinking and understanding the processes of division. Once we have the foundation of the 'how' of division, we can look for shortcuts, such as using short/long division to do the thinking.

Gym: This week we continue volleyball. This week we will put together our set, bump, and serve and learn the game play for volleyball.

Reading Studio: Throughout the year we have been learning about books: genres, setting, characters, types of conflict, resolution, and theme. We have been reading our choice books and discussing these aspects of fiction. Our final reading project will be read a book chosen from a list of 10 and create a pamphlet highlighting the book. Today the students were introduced to the books and will choose one to read tomorrow.

Science: This week we are looking at biomes around the world. We will be choosing one to do a mini inquiry on. To share our knowledge on biomes and how living things sense and respond to their environment, students will be participating in Coding Quest, a project through Learning Partnership, where students will be creating (coding) a video game using Scratch to reflect their learning on sensing/responding in the environment. First this week and next we'll be researching our chosen biome with books and websites.

Computers: Before we can program our video game, we will be learning the basics of coding in Scratch with some challenges.