News forum

Monday, May 14, 2018

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, May 14, 2018
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 14 May 2018, 5:21 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Trail Walk is on Wednesday. Parents are welcome to join us, 8:45-9:30am. 
  • No school next Monday due to Victoria Day. Enjoy the sunshine!
  • Camp Lochside and Camp Thunderbird are next week! Camp Thunderbird information and packing list will be coming home this week.
  • In June, during the second to last week of school, I would like to propose a class bike trip as a celebration to the end of our year. Last year we did this trip and it was a fabulous way to wrap up the year. We rode our bikes on the Lochside trail to Michell's Farm, ate the lunch we packed in our backpacks, rode back on the Lochside trail, and stopped at Mattick's Farm for ice cream before returning to the school. We left in the morning and returned by the end of the day. In order to make this trip successful, we need parents to support us and ride with us. If you think you could join us, could you send me an email showing your interest? I am looking at going June 18, 19, or 20th. We would need 5 parents to join us. We've already had 3 parents indicate that they could join us on one of those days. Thank you! Also each child would need a bike. If your child does not have a bike, let me know and I can round one up for them. I would really like our entire group to be there on the trip together.

Math: We are finishing up division this week, building our tool kit to work with a variety of larger numbers in division. We have been focusing on thinking and understanding the processes of division. Once we have the foundation of the 'how' of division, we can look for shortcuts, such as using short/long division to do the thinking.

Gym: This week we continue volleyball with some game play

Reading Studio: Students have started reading their novels in class and are pausing every chapter or so to write a short summary on their pamphlet using Google Slides.

Science/Computers: We are in our second week of researching our chosen biomes and will start to think about the setting (plants) and characters (animals) to use in our video game. We are continuing to work on coding challenges in order to learn the skills needed to program our video game.