News forum

Monday, February 5, 2018

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, February 5, 2018
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 5 February 2018, 8:50 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Please note: I will be absent on Wednesday and Thursday this week while I share the Two Worlds Meet inquiry project we are currently doing in our Social Studies class with educators in the Nanaimo-Ladysmith School District. I will be back in the classroom on Friday. Mrs. Zeeman and Ms. Swan will be continuing our work in my absence.
  • Trail Walk is on Wednesday. Come join us at 8:45-9:15am on the trail.
  • Grade 5 Parents: a notice and permission forms will be coming home soon about Camp Thunderbird. Please pencil in  a camp meeting for parents at Lochside on Tuesday, February 20th from 6:00-6:30pm in the Learning Commons (library).
  • Valentine's Day is coming up on Wednesday, February 14th! Our parent reps have sent an email with a class list should your child want to participate in handing out Valentines. Thank you, class reps!
  • Family Day is next Monday, February 12th. No students/staff are in session that day. Have a wonderful long weekend with the family and see you on Tuesday!

Social Studies: This week we are finishing up our lessons on exploration and starting to look at the fur trade in Canada. We are welcoming the Maritime Museum at Lochside tomorrow (Tuesday) to share more on these topics and will explore the fur trade through images and drama.

Math: We have wrapped up our unit on multiplication and will continue with division after spring break. Miss Webster has begun a geometry unit on perimeter. Grade 4s will be exploring the Big Idea: Polygons are closed shapes with similar attributes that can be described, measured, and compared. Grade 5s will be exploring the Big Idea: Closed shapes have area and perimeter that can be described, measured, and compared.

Gym: We are wrapping up our basketball tournament tomorrow and will be starting a cooperative games unit with Miss Webster on Friday.

Writing Studio: Miss Webster is starting a unit on autobiographies this week. We played a people bingo to get to know one another and have interviewed a classmate to build a deeper relationship in our class. We are learning some interesting facts about each other!

Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies: In preparation for Valentine's Day we will be designing something to hold and transport our Valentines home in. We will be exploring this challenge through the engineering design process: We ask a question, image and plan, create, test, and improve. We are learning that designs can be improved with prototyping and testing.