News forum

Monday, September 25, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, September 25, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 25 September 2017, 10:06 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Orange Shirt Day is happening at Lochside on Thursday this week. Our community will be joining communities across the country by coming together in a spirit of reconciliation and hope because every child matters. You can learn more about Orange Shirt Day here. We will be exploring Orange Shirt Day in the classroom through age-appropriate literature and following discussion. 
  • School Photos will be happening this week on Friday!
  • Scholastic flyers went home on Friday. Orders are due this week. There is an envelope by the door for cheques (payable to Scholastic Canada Ltd. - no cash please) or you can pay by credit card online here. I am looking for a parent to take on Scholastic orders this year. It would involve getting the book orders ready each month, putting in the order online through our class account, and handing out the books when they arrive at Lochside. If that interests you, let me know!
  • We have gym on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. On Wednesdays I would like to do a weekly trail walk either on the Lochside Trail or to Outerbridge Park next door. A permission form will be going home this week. I would love parents to join us. You can let me know by signing up here.
  • Litterless Lunch at Lochside: This year at Lochside we will be reducing our litter footprint in the school. One of our initiatives to reduce and reuse more is to promote a litterless lunch. It is a lunch that creates no waste! It can involve the use of reusable containers or possibly no containers at all, to store and transport food. It involves the elimination of disposable products and the encouraged use of reusable containers. Thank you for your support with this endeavour. The Lochside Green Team

Spelling: Unit 3 this week!

Reading Studio: We have been learning about fiction and non-fiction genres and making connections to the books we are reading. So far we have learned about realistic fiction, fantasy, science fiction, mystery, historical fiction, poetry, informational, and traditional literature. We will be finishing our genre study this week with biography and autobiography. Ask you child the genre they are reading right now.

Writing Studio: We are busy writing during our studio time. We are learning the writing process: pre-write (authors choose a topic and make a plan), rough draft (authors use their plan to write a first draft), revise/edit (authors look for ways to improve their writing), publish (authors choose some of their drafts to publish).

Math Studio: We are learning to represent bigger numbers in different ways: standard form, word form, base ten, and expanded form. We are exploring larger numbers in a number of different ways to share our learning.

Gym: This week we continue to play group games in gym.