News forum

Monday, September 18, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, September 18, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 18 September 2017, 5:53 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Terry Fox run is on Friday morning at 10:30am. Bring a toonie for Terry and wear your runner on Friday!
  • Many forms went home last week that need to be signed and returned, including a form for G Suite and FreshGrade. Please return these forms ASAP so we can start to use the computers and document our learning.
  • We have our first field trip to the Fire Hall coming up. The permission form went home on Friday and needs to be signed ASAP.
  • Lochside's Welcome Back BBQ is this Thursday 5:30-7:00pm. Hope to see you there!
  • Litterless Lunch at Lochside: This year at Lochside we will be reducing our litter footprint in the school. One of our initiatives to reduce and reuse more is to promote a litterless lunch. It is a lunch that creates no waste! It can involve the use of reusable containers or possibly no containers at all, to store and transport food. It involves the elimination of disposable products and the encouraged use of reusable containers. Thank you for your support with this endeavour. The Lochside Green Team
  • I am looking for a parent to take on Scholastic orders this year. It would involve getting the book orders ready each month, putting in the order online through our class account, and handing out the books when they arrive at Lochside. If that interests you, let me know!

Spelling: Week 2 focuses on the hard and soft C and G sounds. C as in cow versus cent and G as in garden versus danger.

Reading Studio: We have our reading notebooks set up for the year with a criteria for choosing books, 'I PICK': I choose a book, Purpose: Why do I want to read this?, Interest: Does it interest me?, Comprehend: Do I understand it?, Know: Do I know most of the words? Today we started a reading plan and have a goal to read 30 books this year. This week and next we'll be learning about the different genres we can choose from.

Writing Studio: Last week we made personal lists of topics we can write about: authority list, heart map, and a memory hand. We have chosen a topic, made a plan, and will use our plan to write a first draft this week.

Math Studio: We finished our week of inspirational math. We learned that there are many ways to see math, mistakes are expected and help our brain grow, amazing things happen when you believe, math is creative and extremely visual. We are off to a great start in math! This week we will start to look at place value. Grade 4s learn numbers to 10 000 and Grade 5s learn numbers to 1 000 000. That being said, students will be challenged at their individual level.

Science: This term we will be focusing on science. Today we 'broke out' during our Breakout EDU activity and discovered we will be learning about matter is this month. Our big idea is...Matter has mass, takes up space, and can change phase.

Gym: We have started to play some wide games in gym. We are working on being active, playing safely, and having fun. Ask your child about some of the new gym games we have been playing.