News forum

Monday, May 29, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, May 29, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 29 May 2017, 4:58 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders

• What a great time we all had at Camp Thunderbird and Camp Lochside last week! It was fun to have the Grade 5s enthusiastically share highlights with the Grade 4s and likewise have the Grade 4s share about their fun events.
  • Trail walk is on Wednesday this week. Sign up here if you'd like to join us.
  • Our climbing wall visit is on Wednesday. Thank you for returning the permission forms so quickly. There are a couple of outstanding $4 needed for the event. I asked those students to write a reminder in their agendas today. We will be having our lunch before we load the bus at 11:15am and will be returning to Lochside by 2:00pm. Please wear comfortable clothing and clean, sturdy shoes to climb in. No sandals or slip on shoes are allowed.
  • Our District Track Meet is on Tuesday, June 6th. As noted in the permission forms, students are to arrange their own transportation to/from UVic. Our coaches will be there to meet you: Ms. Seabrooke, Ms. Smith, and Mr. O'Connor). I will be remaining at Lochside with the Grade 4/5 students who will not be participating.
  • Monday is the Bike Rodeo at Lochside. I am asking ALL students to bring their bikes and helmets in preparation for an end of year bike trip. We will use the bike rodeo to check over everyone's bike and helmet set-up. If your child does not have a bike, check in with a cousin, neighbour, or friend who might be able to loan out a bike. Please contact me if you are stuck. We want everyone to participate!
  • I would like to have an end of year Bike Trip with our class the celebrate the end of a great year together. My plan is to bike on the Lochside Trail to Michell Farms and back. It is about a 16km ride and totally flat. We would stop for regular breaks, bring a backpack with our lunches and water bottles, and some $ to stop for an ice cream at Mattick's on the way home. I have not put together a field trip form yet but wanted to check to see if there are some parents who are able to bike with us, or have a truck to follow behind in case we have some bike emergencies. If you are interested in biking with us, please email me. I am looking to go Monday, June 19th, weather permitting. We can set back-up dates for the following days (June 20th and June 21st) if needed.
  • MOVING? If you are planning to move to another school for next year, or have a change of address or phone number, please contact the office so we have the most up-to-date info. Call: 250-658-5238

Reading Studio

• Students are continuing their Matchbook Summary assignment. We made a goal to finish by the end of May or first week of June. Depending on the size of book your child chose, they may need to do some reading and summaries at home to stay on top of their work.

Math

• We are continuing our measurement unit by looking at area and perimeter this week.

Science

• We are finishing up learning about the 6 types simple machines this week by looking at wedges, screws, and pulleys. 
  • I will be sending out an email later this week about our project to demonstrate our learning of simple machines----we are going to need some cardboard!

Gym

• This week we are using our gym times to practice for the track meet.

Music

• We have learned the 12 chord blues and will be learning a song we hope to perform for you before the end of the year. We are sounding good!