News forum

Monday, April 10, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, April 10, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 10 April 2017, 4:46 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• Tuesday this week the Camosun College first year BSN RN nursing students are returning to finish presenting the SipSmart BC program where students have learned about sugary drinks and how to make healthy choices in a fun and effective way.
  • We will be having Lochside Trail walk this week on Wednesday morning. Feel free to sign up here.
  • Whole school photo is happening tomorrow. We were unable to have it last week due to the weather. The grade five photo will also happen when the photographer is here in the afternoon.
  • Scholastic orders are due this Wednesday.
  • Maturation talks are this week on Wednesday and Thursday. A notice went home with the students last Friday.
  • We have space in the computer lab in the morning for Reflex Math. If your child could use some extra practice, our lab is open at 8:00am every morning and is supervised by an EA. Let me know if your child would like to use this time to practice their facts and I can put their name on the list. 
  • No school on Friday this week and Monday next week. Enjoy the Easter weekend with your family.

Spelling

• Unit 21 focuses on prefixes de, pre, pro, con, com, and mis.

Reading Studio

• Students started their Matchbook Summary assignment. Ask your child which book they have chosen for the assignment. After each chapter, they pause to write a quick 3-5 sentence summary and choose a main event to illustrate.

Math

• This week we will finish looking at decimals and place value. This week we continue to order and compare decimals. We will also add and subtract decimals.

Social Studies

• Students have chosen their 'deep questions' for their inquiry project. Students have chosen a topic to explore further under immigration, natural resources, and government. They have the next two weeks to research in class, using print and online materials, to answer their chosen questions. While the majority of the project is to be worked on at school, students are allowed to do some research at home as well.

Gym

• We continue to work on floor hockey skills in gym this week in preparation for a class tournament. This week we will focus on goal tending and game play.

Personal & Social Responsibility

• In our FRIENDS books this week, we moved on from F (Feelings) and R (Relaxation) to I (I can do it! I can try my best!). We talked about how it is important to listen to the things we tell ourselves and to pay attention to our self-talk. Unhelpful thoughts are red---STOP! These make you feel upset. Helpful thoughts are green---GO! They make you feel strong inside, brave, and happy.