News forum

Monday, April 24, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, April 24, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 24 April 2017, 6:22 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• Scott Stinson, our Assistant Superintendent of Learning Services, has been piloting the FreshGrade program for the past two school years. He has asked FreshGrade teachers to share the following link with parents in order to receive feedback on the product. You can access the form here: FreshGrade Parent Survey
  • We will be having Lochside Trail walk this week on Wednesday morning. Feel free to sign up here.
  • No school this Friday, April 28th. It is a school planning day for Lochside staff to review our current goals and plan for the next year. 
  • We have space in the computer lab in the morning for Reflex Math. If your child could use some extra practice, our lab is open at 8:00am every morning and is supervised by an EA. Let me know if your child would like to use this time to practice their facts and I can put their name on the list. 

Music

• We started ukulele this week. Today we learned about the ukulele, how to hold the instrument, and learned about to play our first two chords. I plan to have ukulele once a week and would like to have a celebration in June to share our music.

Reading Studio

• Students are continuing their Matchbook Summary assignment. As students complete a chapter summary (matchbook) they have been checking with me for feedback on their summary and picture of a key event. Students are aware if they are beginner, developing, accomplished, and exemplary, and have received input on how they can improve the next matchbook.

Math

• This week we will continue to look at fractions. How do we compare and order fractions with like denominators? What are equivalent fractions? We will be using benchmarks to help us compare and order.

Social Studies

• Students have researched their 'deep questions' and this week will be working on their project----how they will share their learning. Students have decided the best way to share their learning. Some are creating posters, tri-folds, models, while others are choosing technology to share their learning such slideshows, stories/letters, and newscasts. We are working all week on our projects in class and aim to have them complete by this Thursday. If students do not finish by Thursday, they are welcome to bring it home and work on it over the weekend. We hope to share our learning with the Lochside community next week. Originally we thought next Tuesday, May 2nd, might work. We will assess as a group on Thursday this week to see if we think we'll be ready by May 2nd. Stay tuned!

Gym

• The Lochside community will be enjoying Folk Dancing in gym this week.