News forum

Monday, February 27, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, February 27, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 27 February 2017, 5:51 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• We are starting Week 3 of our "Cool It" challenge. Remember to keep track of activities you have tried. The challenge ends Tuesday, March 14th.
  • Lochside Trail walk will be on Wednesday, weather permitting. Feel free to join us by signing up here.
  • This is the last week to hand-in Grade 5 Camp Thunderbird notices. 
  • Friday is Popcorn Day.
  • No School on Monday. It is a non-instructional day.
  • We have space in the computer lab in the morning for Reflex Math. If your child could use some extra practice, our lab is open at 8:00am every morning and is supervised by an EA. Let me know if your child would like to use this time to practice their facts and I can put their name on the list. 
  • Scholastic orders will be coming home this week. Please have orders in by Thursday, March 8th so we can put an order in before Spring Break. Note: these books will not arrive until after Spring Break.
  • Early Dismissal is on Thursday, March 9th at 1:48pm. This term I am not requiring to meet with each family and instead will be hosting an Open House. The classroom will be open from 2-5pm and will be student-led. Students will be showcasing their strengths and areas they are working on. I will be in the room and available to answer any informal questions. Also I would be more than happy to sit down with any families wanting a more formal conference and will be available the week of March 13-16th. Please see me to book a time. Report cards will be sent via FreshGrade by March 16th.

Spelling

• We are continuing with Unit 19 is this week: I before E, except after C.

Reading/Writing Studio

• Students continue to work hard on finishing up their writing tic-tac-toe forms for this term. We have quite a display of finished works up in our classroom.
  • Students have been meeting with me to see areas of strength and areas to work on such as ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, conventions, and presentation.

Math

• This week we are starting to look at different models for division: using an array, base ten blocks, and long division.

Social Studies

• We started to learn about the Canadian Government this week. Today we learned about the type of government Canada is, levels of government, and the roles within those levels.
  • This week we will also look at the leaders at the different levels and also look at the leaders of our government during the time of Confederation.

Gym

• Games Week continues!

Social Responsibility

• Lochside's Kindness campaign has begun and in our read aloud, Wonder, we were challenged to be kinder than necessary: One should be kinder than needed. We talked about having the capacity to be kind is not enough, we have the very choice of kindness. We are keeping our eyes out for acts of kindness around us!
  • We continue with Session 2 in our FRIENDS program: it is an introduction to feelings, feelings we have, importance of showing our feelings, and understanding our thoughts and feelings. This week we are focusing on how powerful thoughts and happy/confident feelings lead to behaving in hopeful and positive ways.