News forum

Monday, February 20, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, February 20, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 20 February 2017, 5:22 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• We are starting Week 2 of our "Cool It" challenge. Remember to keep track of activities you have tried. The challenge ends Tuesday, March 14th.
  • Pink Shirt Day is on Wednesday.
  • Lochside Trail walk will be on Wednesday, weather permitting. Feel free to join us by signing up here.
  • Grade 5 Camp Thunderbird notices need to be returned. Our parent meeting has been rescheduled for  this Wednesday, February 22nd at 6pm at Lochside.
  • No School on Friday. It is a non-instructional day. I will be working with colleagues in our district working towards our Google Educator Training Level I.
  • We have space in the computer lab in the morning for Reflex Math. If your child could use some extra practice, our lab is open at 8:00am every morning and is supervised by an EA. Let me know if your child would like to use this time to practice their facts and I can put their name on the list. 

Spelling

• Unit 19 is this week: I before E, except after C.

Reading/Writing Studio

• This week we will finish up talking about theme and have a look over some books we have read this year and try to link a theme to the book.
  • In Writing Studio we continue to work towards completing our tic-tac-toe writing forms. We meet with Miss Norris once complete to see our strengths and areas of growth with writing traits: organization, ideas, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, conventions, and presentation.

Math

• This week we are practising the box method (partial products) to solve 2 and 3-digit by 1-digit questions for the Grade 4s and 2- and 3-digits by 2-digits for the Grade 5s.
  • This method is preferable for some learners over the traditional method because it breaks down the products.

Social Studies

• We are finishing up learning about the Gold Rush this week and it helped shape and develop our country. 
  • We will start to look at natural resources next, minerals being one, as well as forests, fish (salmon), and energy (coal, gas, oil, and hydro).

Gym

• Games Week!

Social Responsibility

• Lochside's Kindness campaign has begun and in our read aloud, Wonder, we were challenged to be kinder than necessary: One should be kinder than needed. We talked about having the capacity to be kind is not enough, we have the very choice of kindness. We are keeping our eyes out for acts of kindness around us!
  • We continue with Session 2 in our FRIENDS program: it is an introduction to feelings, feelings we have, importance of showing our feelings, and understanding our thoughts and feelings.