News forum

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 6:17 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• We had a presentation by an environmental educator last Wednesday through the CRD and BCSEA (BC Sustainable Energy Association). Today the students brought home climate change challenges to complete. The package includes a variety of challenges that the students are invited to complete at home and keep track of over the next month. At the end of the challenge, the packages are to be returned to school and the educator will be collecting them and tallying up our points. We have an opportunity to win some prizes! Participation is optional as I told the students today, but I encouraged them to even try one small challenge---even one small change helps. They are group by easy, moderate, to challenging. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. The package needs to be returned on Tuesday, March 14th.
  • Lochside Trail walk will be on Wednesday, weather permitting. Feel free to join us by signing up here.
  • Grade 5 Camp Thunderbird notices need to be returned. Our parent meeting has been rescheduled for Wednesday, February 22nd at 6pm at Lochside.
  • NO REFLEX MATH FEBRUARY 15TH. We have space in the computer lab in the morning for Reflex Math. If your child could use some extra practice, our lab is open at 8:00am every morning and is supervised by an EA. Let me know if your child would like to use this time to practice their facts and I can put their name on the list. 

Spelling

• No Spelling this week. We will continue next week.

Reading/Writing Studio

• We are getting back into looking at themes in stories that we are writing and/or reading. So far we have looked at acceptance, courage, perseverance, cooperation, and compassion. This week we will look at honesty, kindness, and loyalty.
  • We have just a month left this term and will make a plan to finish our 'tic-tac-toe' writings. All three must be published after revised and edited. 
  • Today in computers we used Google Drawings to write a 'magnetic poem' for Valentine's Day. 

Math

• This week we are practising the traditional method to solve 2 and 3-digit by 1-digit questions for the Grade 4s and 2- and 3-digits by 2-digits for the Grade 5s

Social Studies

• We are finishing up learning about the CPR and will look at the Gold Rush this week. We will look at how these two events helped shape and develop our country.

Gym

• We have played 3 teams in our tournament so far. We have one more tournament day.

Social Responsibility

• We have started a FRIENDS program in class to help us feel confident and brave with our friendships.
  • We've had one session on working together, recognizing we are all different and that's okay, and building our confidence by smiling at others, looking each other in the eye, and saying 'Hello!' 
  • You can support your child at home by having a conversation about goals. Talk about what goals you have, your pets (i.e. your pet dog learning to catch a ball), goals friends or other family members might have. Also have a conversation about what happy things happened during the day or week.
  • Session 2 is an introduction to feelings: feelings we have, importance of showing our feelings, and understanding our thoughts and feelings.