News forum

Monday, December 12, 2016

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, December 12, 2016
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 12 December 2016, 3:45 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• Congratulations to Division 3 on a job well done on today's concert. That was the best I have watched them perform the songs yet!
  • We have space in the computer lab in the morning for Reflex Math. If your child could use some extra practice, our lab is open at 8:00am every morning and is supervised by an EA. Let me know if your child would like to use this time to practice their facts and I can put their name on the list.
  • Lochside Trail walk is on Wednesday, weather permitting. Feel free to join us by signing up here.
  • All parents are invited to attend our end of term assembly at 9AM, this Friday, on Dec. 16th. We will be honouring and bidding a fond farewell to our Principal, Mr. Grewal, who is retiring as of Dec. 16th. The theme for the day is Team Day. Wear a team jersey and running shoes - just be generally sporty! The kids will do the same and we will all be wearing a banner on our shirts that says "Team Grewal." I will have the banners printed off, ready to attach to the students' shirts. At the end of the assembly, parents will be invited to stay in the gym to share in cake, tea and coffee, and have a chance to wish Joe well. Please let me know if you plan to attend. We will need to know approximate numbers to plan the seating and food.  
  • The Grade 4/5s are swimming on Friday. We will be leaving Lochside at 11:50am and will return by 2:30pm. Students need to have their bathing suit and towel. Please do not send any money. Students will not be allowed to buy anything from the vending machines.
  • I will be sending home indoor shoes and water bottles for the Christmas holiday. Please check the indoors for sizing and bring them back in January.
  • I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish our Lochside families a wonderful and relaxing holidays season. We'll see you back on January 3rd.

Spelling

• No spelling this week!

Reading Studio

• This week we continue to make note of our reading by using 'thinkmarks.' Thinkmarks are a way to make note of our favourite parts, surprising parts, confusing parts, funny parts, important parts, and parts that make us wonder or predict.
Writing Studio

• It is our last week to finish off our persuasive letters for the body system. The students who are finished have begun new stories of their choice.

Numeracy

• We are finishing up the week before the holidays looking at patterns and practising writing rules for patterns.