News forum

Monday, December 5, 2016

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, December 5, 2016
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 5 December 2016, 3:38 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• Report cards have been posted on your child's FreshGrade account. Let me know if you need any help accessing the report.
  • We have space in the computer lab in the morning for Reflex Math. If your child could use some extra practice, our lab is open at 8:00am every morning and is supervised by an EA. Let me know if your child would like to use this time to practice their facts and I can put their name on the list.
  • Lochside Trail walk is on Wednesday, weather permitting. Feel free to join us by signing up here.
  • This Friday we will be building our mini Christmas trees. Don't forget to send in 6 wire coat hangers, a roll of masking tape, 50-100 mini lights, and 2-4 packages of garland. If you would like to come in and help us build them, you are welcome to join us this Friday at 10:15am.
  • Our class will be performing at the Christmas concert on Monday, December 12th at 1:30pm in the school gym. Students are to wear black bottoms with a red or white top. Solid or an all-over subtle pattern or plaid is fine. Please no large logos. Traditional Chinese attire in any colour is suitable. Traditional Mexican clothing, including sombrero hats, is suitable. A black, red, or white dress is suitable. Additional traditional clothing from any culture is suitable.
  • All parents are invited to attend our end of term assembly at 9AM on Dec. 16th. We will be honouring and bidding a fond farewell to our Principal, Mr. Grewal, who is retiring as of Dec. 16th. The theme for the day is Team Day. Wear a team jersey and running shoes - just be generally sporty! The kids will do the same and we will all be wearing a banner on our shirts that says "Team Grewal." I will have the banners printed off, ready to attach to the students' shirts. At the end of the assembly, parents will be invited to stay in the gym to share in cake, tea and coffee, and have a chance to wish Joe well. Please let me know if you plan to attend. We will need to know approximate numbers to plan the seating and food.  

Spelling

• Lesson 13 is looking at the long /o/ sound. It can be spelled 'oe' as in toe, 'ow' as in fallow, 'oa' as in rowboat, and 'ou' as in doughnut.

Reading Studio

• This week we are writing down ideas we have about our reading. We will make a list of what readers stop and jot down.
Writing Studio

• It is our last week to finish off our persuasive letters for the body system.

Numeracy

• We have finished up subtraction and will be doing a mini unit on graphing. We will look at using tables and charts to draw bar graphs and pictographs. We will practice interpreting data from a graph.

Social Studies/Science

• This week we are looking at our same body system in bears. We will compare and contrast a human vs bear body system.