News forum

Monday, October 31, 2016

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, October 31, 2016
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 31 October 2016, 3:36 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• FreshGrade invites went out last Thursday night. If you did not see an invite, check your junk mailbox. You will see an email from 'FreshGrade' inviting you to view your child's portfolio. You will need to sign up for an account. You can download a free app to view your child's portfolio on your smart device. If you did not get an invite, let me know, and I can resend it. Many parents have already commented below the learning artifact. That is encouraged! Soon the students will be accessing their portfolios so they can see their goals and be a part of their learning journey.
  • Early Dismissal days this week at 1:48pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Please double check when you signed up for a conference. I will also post our schedule outside our classroom. I look forward to meeting with each family to discuss the strengths and areas of focus for your child.
  • Lochside Trail walk is on Wednesday, weather permitting. Students need to come prepared with good walking shoes and a light jacket. If it is raining, we will postpone for the week. Each week I need at least 1 parent to join us. I have made a sign-up on a google doc for parents to indicate which week they'd like to join us. I have allowed space for 3 parents to join us if we have more than one parent wanting to come. Feel free to sign-up as often as you'd like! The link is here.

Spelling

• Lesson 8 focuses on the /sh/ spelled either with 'sh' as in shoe, 'ti' as in partial, 'ch' as in brochure, 'su' as in insure, or 'ci' as in social.

Reading Studio

• This week we will finish off looking at non-fiction features just in time to get into research about body systems for bears. We will notice tables, timelines, maps, and graphs as a source of information. We will also look at the index, glossary, bibliography, and pronunciation guides as a source of help understanding and locating information. Later on in the week we will have a scavenger hunt looking for these features.
Writing Studio / Computers

• We have started using our GAFE (newly renamed G Suite) account to publish our stories online. Before we print we will make sure we have a good presentation including grammar and conventions correctly used.

Gym

• We will be missing most of our gym this week due to the early dismissals. Next week we will pick up soccer again.

Numeracy

• This week we will be having a 'Show What You Know' on estimating differences and moving on to addition and looking at strategies for mental math.

Social Studies/Science

• We will start a research project on a bear's body system with a group. Each group will be responsible to learn about the structure and function of their body system, draw and label it, and include other interesting facts. They will choose from digestive, respiratory, circulatory, and musculo-skeletal systems.