News forum

Monday, October 17, 2016

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, October 17, 2016
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 17 October 2016, 5:36 PM

Important Dates and/or Reminders:

• Lochside Trail walk is on Wednesday, weather permitting. Students need to come prepared with good walking shoes and a light jacket. If it is raining, we will postpone for the week. Each week I need at least 1 parent to join us. I have made a sign-up on a google doc for parents to indicate which week they'd like to join us. I have allowed space for 3 parents to join us if we have more than one parent wanting to come. Feel free to sign-up as often as you'd like! The link is here.
  • Photo Retakes are on Wednesday this week.
  • Halloween family event here at Lochside this Thursday, 5:30-8:00pm
  • No school for students on Friday so no Friday journals this week. I will be attending a workshop for Language Arts teachers.
  • Shannon Toronitz, our school counsellor who is at Lochside on Wednesday mornings, has shared a link to her padlet page for families who are looking for resources and support in our community: https://padlet.com/baygulls5/mfzp40u3v9kj
  • November 1/2/3 are 'early dismissal' days at 1:48pm for parent-teacher conferences. I would like to meet with each family over those three days. Please follow this link to sign-up for a conference. Anyone with the link is able to enter their child's first name only into a free slot. If you are accessing it on a smartphone or other device, you will need the google docs app and a sign-in. You do not need to sign-in if you are using a desktop computer.

Spelling

• Lesson 6 is a Review Week. No new spelling words this week. We are reviewing the patterns and meanings from our previous words.

Reading Studio

• This week we continue to talk about the story mountain and connect it to our reading. We will also start to look at features that help us read and understand non-fiction books. This will help us when we start to look for information for our bears and body systems unit.
Writing Studio 

• We will continue to look at how Writers narrow a topic. We will look back over our authority list and highlight a big topic. We will practice thinking of smaller writing ideas under each big topic. Lastly writers know that writing is a process. We pre-write, write a rough draft, revise and edit, and even publish some writing. We are going to be choosing one of our stories to start the revision and editing process.

Gym

• For the month of October we will be focusing on soccer skills. This week we will continue with goalkeeping/kicking and throw-ins and also get in to some game play and rules of the game.

Numeracy

• This week we are looking at estimating sums. We complete activities in class to show our learning but will also have a time for reflection, using the 'Draw and Tell' app. We will also use Reflex Math in the classroom to practice our basic facts. Reflex has been set-up for the year using your child's student number as the password. You can access Reflex from home here. Type in 'snorris' for the username, click on 'Division 3,' and look for your child's name.

Social Studies/Science

• We started our bears and body systems unit by talking about qualities of bears, how they are similar and different to humans, and we also looked at a video of a local First Nations community and talked about the importance of bears to their culture. This week we will continue to explore bears in local First Nations cultures.

Art

• This week we will start a 3D monster project. We will make a plan and follow steps to turn a tissue box into a monter.

Computers

• We have been working through our Digital Passport through Common Sense Media. On Tuesday we will look at how to search effectively online as well as learn about permissions online and how to give credit to the author.