News forum

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
by Sherisse Norris - Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 11:36 PM

A lot is happening in the next few weeks. Please read the information below carefully so you can stay on top of the happenings in our class and around the school.

Upcoming Dates / Reminders:

• This Thursday, Feb.11th Lochside will be celebrating Valentine's Day and are inviting the students and staff to wear red. ***Our class will be handing out Valentines on Monday, February 15th. We will be decorating bags in the class this week to collect and bring home our Valentines on Monday. Please remember if you are including chocolate/candy with your Valentines that they need to be nut-free. Thank you!
  • Book exchange is on Thursday. Please return your books Wednesday or Thursday.
  • It is our 100th day of school next Wednesday, February 17th. We will be focusing on activities with the number 100 next week but on that day I am inviting students to come to school dressed as a 100 year old. I will send home a notice this week with some tips and ideas so you have some time to put together an outfit.
  • Our field trip to the museum is next Thursday, February 18th. We will be taking the school bus and bringing our lunch to eat outside near the museum. Please dress for the weather and have your child eat a big breakfast. It would be helpful to put a small snack aside to have at the school at 9:15am before we board the bus.
  • Friday, February 19th is a non-instructional day. Staff only in session for professional development.
  • A new Special Helper job is starting next week, 'Cultural Suitcase.' During our Morning Meeting today, we were talking about Chinese New Year and discovered we have many Chinese friends in our class. Other children shared where their families are from, so for our next Special Helper job, students are invited to fill the suitcase with items that share their families culture(s), traditions, customs, background, interests, etc...anything that defines who they are. They could bring objects, artifacts, food to share (nut-free), clothing, and/or photographs that relate to their family culture and identity. I am excited to see the diversity and similarities in our class! Let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Classroom News:

Social Responsibility: We continue to talk about FAIRNESS. We can show fairness by sharing and taking turns.

Literacy: This week we are focusing on the letter Rr.

Science: To share our learning about how animals survive in winter, we will be working on a collaborative mural. Children will help design and decorate our mural to show our knowledge on hibernation, migration, and adaptation. 

Gym: We will be doing a mini-unit on dance in the next couple of weeks.