News forum

Monday, February 24, 2020

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, February 24, 2020
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 24 February 2020, 9:10 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Pink Shirt Day is on WEDNESDAY! We had incorrectly written down Thursday in our agendas - oops!
  • Trail Walk is on Wednesday and this week we are going to try something a little different. Last Pro-D day I was in a workshop on outdoor education with several other Lochside teachers with Bonnie Davison, founder of Victoria Nature School. We were challenged to take our class outside for one full hour. Ms. Howells and I are going to try this during our trail walk time. The plan is to walk to McMinn with our snacks and spend one hour there. We will include a lesson, sit spot time, free play, plus an opening and closing circle. Please help your child dress warmly for the time outside. 
  • Our final early dismissal is coming up next week. Students will be dismissed at 1:48pm on Thursday, March 5th. At that time our classroom will be open for a student led 'Open House'. Students will lead their families through the classroom, share their work, and discuss areas of strength and areas to grow in. I will be in the class to answer informal questions about your child's progress.

What are we working on in class?

• Math: We continue to work on learning how to divide and working on different strategies to help us divide with larger numbers. Grade 4s are working on division of 2 and 3 digit numbers with no remainders. Grade 5s are working on division with remainders. In geometry, we are working on our geometrocity designs.
  • Reading: We are continuing to look at non-fiction features. This week we are looking at bullets, photographs, illustrations, and diagrams.
  • Social Studies/Writing: We are starting our research this week. Each day we will be using books, websites, and videos to learn more about our chosen topic. We are learning to locate appropriate information for our topics, and organizing our ideas in subtopics. We are also practicing taking notes in our own words.