Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:
- No Trail Walk this week. We have a guest speaker to come talk to us about Indigenous paddles and canoes as part of our simple machines unit.
- We have been enjoying working with tools, learning about simple machines, and creating projects. We noticed that we need an old shirt to keep in the class for when we are painting/staining. Students are invited to bring one in and keep it on their hook when we are working on messy projects.
- We have a field trip coming up to Swan Lake on the afternoon of Wednesday, June 5th.
- Only one more month of school. Just a reminder that families will be receiving a full report card at the end of this term. There will be some FreshGrade posts this term but the majority of assessments will be on the final report card.
- It's almost time for the 3rd annual Div.3 class bike trip as a celebration to the end of our year. We ride our bikes on the Lochside trail to Michell's Farm, eat the lunch we packed in our backpacks, ride back on the Lochside trail, and stop at Mattick's Farm for ice cream before returning to the school. We will be leaving in the morning and return by the end of the day. In order to make this trip successful, we need parents to support us and ride with us. If you think you could join us, could you send me an email showing your interest? I am looking at going June 17, 18, or 19. We would need 5 parents to join us. Also each child would need a bike and helmet. If your child does not have a bike or helmet, please let me know as soon as possible so I can round one up for them. I would really like our entire group to be there on the trip together. A permission form is coming home tomorrow.
Math: We are have learned about representing fractions on a number line, in a visual model, and as equivalent fractions. We are putting our learning to the test with a pizza fraction project.
Physical Education: Leading up to the track meet, we will be using our gym time to practice the relays and individual races.
Science: To wrap up our simple machines unit we will be making paddles. We are excited to have Curtis Henry join us this week to share his learning on paddles and making canoes. Our final unit for the year is body systems. Students recently made the connection that our body has simple machines - the lever! We will be researching and sharing our learning on one of the following systems: musculo-skeletal, circulatory, digestive, and respiratory.
Coding: Every week for the past month we have been working on coding using Scratch. We are learning how to problem solve when our coding doesn't work the way we thought it would. We are working through a series of challenges leading up to code a game.
Writing Studio: We are working on a second paragraph of the week to continue to improve our writing skills. This week's topic is on the seasons. Ask your child which season they are writing a paragraph on.
Class Play: Have you heard about our class play? We are attempting to put on a play that one of our very own student's wrote! We have actors, directors, and set designers. We are hoping it all comes together and we can share it in the last week of June.