News forum

Monday, May 27, 2019

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, May 27, 2019
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 27 May 2019, 9:04 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Thank you parents for all your support for Camp Lochside and Camp Thunderbird - we had a great time!
  • Whole school photo is this Wednesday at 1:45pm.
  • Trail Walk is on Wednesday this week. We will be going to McMinn Park and bringing our snacks with us to enjoy while we are there. We will also be doing a culminating activity for our simple machines unit there.
  • Parent Appreciation is happening this Thursday. Be sure to grab a muffin and a coffee/tea from us on Thursday morning in the parking lots!
  • Fun Lunch is on Friday.
  • We have been enjoying working with tools, learning about simple machines, and creating projects. We noticed that we need an old shirt to keep in the class for when we are painting/staining. Students are invited to bring one in and keep it on their hook when we are working on messy projects. We will be staining and painting this Friday!
  • We have a field trip coming up to Swan Lake on the afternoon of Wednesday, June 5th- a permission form will be coming home later this week.
  • Only one more month of school. Just a reminder that families will be receiving a full report card at the end of this term. There will be some FreshGrade posts this term but the majority of assessments will be on the final report card.
  • Sign-ups for Lochside's Talent Show was at lunch today. Ask your son/daughter if they signed up and look for the form for it.
  • It's almost time for the 3rd annual Div.3 class bike trip as a celebration to the end of our year. We ride our bikes on the Lochside trail to Michell's Farm, eat the lunch we packed in our backpacks, ride back on the Lochside trail, and stop at Mattick's Farm for ice cream before returning to the school. We will be leaving in the morning and return by the end of the day. In order to make this trip successful, we need parents to support us and ride with us. If you think you could join us, could you send me an email showing your interest? I am looking at going June 17, 18, or 19. We would need 5 parents to join us. Also each child would need a bike and helmet. If your child does not have a bike or helmet, please let me know as soon as possible so I can round one up for them. I would really like our entire group to be there on the trip together.

Math: We are continuing with decimals and will start to connect decimals to fractions. We will be beginning some lessons leading into a project to show our learning.

Physical Education: Games week all week! We will also be using some of our gym time to practice for track. Ask your child if they signed up for track!

Social Studies: This week we are learning about the idea of stewardship and why the land is important to us and to First Peoples. We are learning that First Peoples believe everything is interconnected.

Paragraph of the Week: We continue to sharpen our writing skills by following a process to construct a well-written paragraph.