News forum

Monday, December 11, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, December 11, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 11 December 2017, 4:03 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Trail Walk is on Wednesday. Parents are welcome to join us! 
  • After our trail walk we will be doing our Christmas tree art activity. Thank you to those families who have already dropped off supplies for their child. If you haven't yet, please have the supplies at school by the start of school on Wednesday. Parents are welcome to join us when we are building them. We'll be working on them between 9:30-11:00am. Here is the supply list. I believe you could get most items from the dollar store so it should be under $20. If you are not able to pick up these supplies, let me know. If you are able to pick up extra supplies for others to use, that would be great!
  1. 6 metal WIRE hangers (same size is best)
  2. 1 roll of masking tape
  3. a pack of 50-100 mini lights
  4. garland (2-4 packages; your choice of colour)
  • Below is a picture of the project. Supplies need to be at school on or before Wednesday, Dec.13th. Let me know if you have any questions.metal hanger Christmas tree
  • Climbing Wall field trip to Stellys is this Thursday, Dec.14th. Thank you for getting the permission forms in. Students need to come to school on Thursday wearing comfortable clothes for climbing and a pair of clean runners to use in the gym. I am still looking for 1 or 2 parents to join us on the bus to Stellys. It would be a time commitment of 11:45am-2:00pm and you will need to have a current criminal records check in at the school board. If you can help out, please let me know.
  • Thursday, December 21st: Grade 3-5 winter concert 1:30pm in the Lochside gym.
  • Last day before the winter break: Friday, December 22nd.

Spelling: We are taking a break from spelling over the next two weeks and working on some holiday theme activities. This week we are correcting a 'Deer Santa Claws' letter by looking for all the homonyms and using the correct word.

Reading Studio:

• This week we are finishing up going over the features of non-fiction material. We still have to look at table, timeline, photograph, caption, illustration, diagram, graph, and map. For each of these, we look at examples and talk about how they inform and assist our learning and understanding of the topic we are reading about.

Writing Studio 

• We are working on a Gingerbread House Descriptive writing activity. We have to design a gingerbread bread house and are putting it up for sale! We are the realtor and have to design a pamphlet with a drawing our of house and a detailed description to attract potential buyers. We are learning to use specific adjectives and vivid verbs in our writing.

Math Studio: Over the next two weeks we'll be reviewing our work on addition/subtraction and going 'shopping' using advertisements. If you have any Toys R Us, Canadian Tire, Best Buy, Walmart, etc ads please send them in! We will also be working on problem solving strategies over the next two weeks before the break.

Science: Today we talked about eclipses. We learned about the difference between lunar and solar eclipse. We watched some videos and looked at some pictures to help us with our understanding. We created a venn diagram to notice the similarities between lunar and solar eclipses. During our reading, we reread our material three times and went back over the text to highlight facts for our venn diagram and underlined evidence to support our answers. This strategy will help us when we do a research project in term two.

Gym: We have finished our hockey tournament and will be enjoying a games week this week and next.