News forum

Monday, November 27, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, November 27, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 27 November 2017, 4:45 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Reminder: I will be away from the classroom this week from Tuesday, November 28th to Friday, December 1st to attend Indspire: National Gathering for Indigenous Education conference. I am honoured to have been chosen to present with a colleague from Saanich and will be traveling to Montreal next week with our District Vice-Principal for Indigenous Education. We will be presenting an inquiry project called 'Two Worlds Meet' that we co-created in collaboration with other Intermediate teachers in our district. Ms. Lexus Norris-Jones will be teaching in my absence.  I will be back in the classroom the following Monday, December 4th. 
  • Trail Walk is on Wednesday. Parents are welcome to join us! 
  • FreshGrade check-ins for the first term will be posted this week along with a comment from the French teacher and our first term attendance. Take this week to have a look over your child's portfolio to notice the strengths and areas to work on---even better, have a look through it together! Feel free to leave a comment on the check-in for the teacher or for your child.

Spelling: Unit 11 looks at the dipthongs that are two letters blended together to make one vowel sound. 'Ou' and 'ow' spell /ow/ sound in boundary. 'Oi' and 'oy' spell /oy/ you hear in poise. Choir and courageous do not have dipthong sounds.

Writing Studio & Art: 

• Today we worked on editing our writing with rainbow colours. Ask your child about this editing strategy and what the colours were used for.
  • Ms. Norris-Jones will be doing a writing activity with the students this week to go along with an art project they'll be working on. I can't wait to read their stories!
  • To go along with their story, students will be exploring the use of charcoal as an art medium to create an image for their story.

Math Studio: This week we are working on subtraction with larger numbers. Grade 4s are working on 3- and 4-digit differences. Grade 5s are working on 5- and 6-digit differences.

Science: Today we talked about the effects of the rotation and revolution of the earth. We learned the reason for the seasons and also why we have day and night. We learned that different places around the world have different hours of light depending on how far/close they are from the equator. With Ms. Norris-Jones we'll be doing a mapping activity and learning more about latitude and longitude lines on a map.

Gym: It's games week with Ms. Norris-Jones in the gym.