News forum

Monday, November 20, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, November 20, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 20 November 2017, 6:58 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Hat Day is tomorrow for the end of a great book fair. Last day for the book fair is Tuesday.
  • Trail Walk is on Wednesday. Parents are welcome to join us! 
  • Soccer Jamboree is Thursday afternoon. Students need to have their permission forms in to their coaches in order to attend.
  • No school on Friday. It is a NID for students. I am excited to be attending the Google Summit and sharing about using coding robots in the classroom.
  • Please see the attached pdf at the end of this post from our music teacher, Mrs. Alexander about our winter concert coming up in December.
  • Please note: I will be away from the classroom next week from Tuesday, November 28th to Friday, December 1st to attend Indspire: National Gathering for Indigenous Education. I am honoured to have been chosen to present with a colleague from Saanich and will be traveling to Montreal next week with our District Vice-Principal for Indigenous Education. We will be presenting an inquiry project called 'Two Worlds Meet' that we co-created in collaboration with other Intermediate teachers in our district. Ms. Lexus Norris-Jones will be teaching in my absence. I will be meeting with Ms. Norris-Jones this week to make sure the students' academic studies and routines continue while I am away. I will be at Lochside next Monday and will be back in the classroom the following Monday, December 4th. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Spelling: Unit 12 is a review week!

Reading:

• We have had our first 3 students give a book commercial this week and look forward to others share about the books they read in class. Ask your child about the book commercials today.

Writing Studio: 

• We have been talking about the different types of sentences and appropriate punctuation: interrogative, declarative, exclamatory, and imperative. Today we practiced naming the sentence types and including the appropriate punctuation. This week in our writing, we will be editing our work to make sure each sentence has the correct punctuation.

Math Studio: This week we are working on addition with larger numbers. Grade 4s are working on 3- and 4-digit sums. Grade 5s are working on 5- and 6-digit sums.

Science: Today we started our next science topic this week on the big idea: the motions of Earth and the moon cause observable patterns that affect living and non-living systems. We started by reading 2 different local Indigenous oral stories telling of how light was brought to the darkness. We were surprised by the stories and noticed the similarities/differences between the two different nations stories. Today your child brought home a moon calendar. I am asking students to look at the moon each night and record what it looks like. If it's cloudy, and you can't see the moon, check out a weather site online or weather app to see the shape of the moon. This week we will be exploring revolution, rotation, axis, and orbit of the earth.

Gym: It's our games week for floor hockey! Ask your son/daughter about their team name and which position they enjoy playing.