News forum

Monday, November 6, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, November 6, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 6 November 2017, 4:01 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Lochside students will be dismissed early this week on Tuesday, Nov.7th, Wednesday, Nov.8th, and Thursday, Nov.9th at 1:46pm. Please note the early pick-up time. I will be meeting with parents after school on those days. Please sign-up for a conference that works for you following this link. Click here for the conference sign-up form.
  • Trail Walk is on Wednesday. Parents are welcome to join us. You can let me know by signing up here or just show up Wednesday morning! This week we'll be visiting Outerbridge.
  • No school next Monday, November 13th. It is the stat holiday for Remembrance Day. We will be having an assembly to remember on Friday at 10am. This week we will be reading literature, discussing in class, and reflecting through words and art on what peace means to us.

Spelling: Unit 9 focuses on the vowel digraphs /au/ and /aw/. They spell the /aw/ sound you hear in hawk and pause.

Reading/Writing Studio: 

• Our plot pumpkins have finished and are up this week in the hall. Check out how we wrote about the elements of a story.
  • In Reading Studio we will be responding to what we are reading in our notebooks in a letter format similar to the Friday Journal but this time they write to Miss Norris. 
  • We will learn a new way to share a book when we've finished reading it through giving a 'book commercial' to the class. Later in the week, ask you son/daughter what a book commercial is.
  • No Friday Journals this week but we will be writing in our Writing notebooks. I will share with the students what their strengths in writing are and areas to focus on.

Math Studio: Our math checklist is on estimation this week. We learned that an estimation can come in handy when shopping at the store. We learned that an estimate is a thoughtful guess using rounding and front-end estimation.

Gym: We will be starting floor hockey this week with some skills on moving the puck and passing.