News forum

Monday, October 30, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, October 30, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 30 October 2017, 3:25 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Wacky Hair Day for Halloween tomorrow (Tuesday)! I can't wait to see all the creative and crazy hair-dos. Hats are welcome too. 
  • Sock Hop will be happening in the gym at lunch recess on Halloween.
  • Trail Walk is on Wednesday. Parents are welcome to join us. You can let me know by signing up here or just show up Wednesday morning!
  • Lochside students will be dismissed early next week on Tuesday, Nov.7th, Wednesday, Nov.8th, and Thursday, Nov.9th at 1:46pm. Please note the early pick-up time. I will be meeting with parents after school on those days. Please sign-up for a conference that works for you following this link. Click here for the conference sign-up form.

Spelling: Unit 8 is looking at vowel pairs /ee/ and /ea/ and the vowel digraph /ea/. /ea/ can make both the long e sound as well as the short e sound.

Reading/Writing Studio: 

• We continue to work on our plot pumpkins about Flying Solo. We have written paragraphs about the plot, 2 main characters, and the setting. We will finish talking about the problem, resolution and theme soon.
  • In our Friday Journals we have been looking for ways to spice up our writing. Last time we attempted to show, not tell, about our week. This week we will try to create suspense using elipses (...).

Math Studio: We are starting our unit on addition this week. Grade 4s work with numbers up to 10 000 and Grade 5s work on numbers up to 1 000 000.

Gym: Games week before we start our next gym unit.

Science: To finish up matter, we will be exploring the effect of temperature and melting by creating our own cooler to see how long we can keep an ice cube from melting.

FSAs: FSAs are finishing up this week. Yahoo! Grade 4s have been working on some challenging jobs over the past two weeks.