News forum

Monday, October 16, 2017

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Monday, October 16, 2017
by Sherisse Norris - Monday, 16 October 2017, 5:20 PM

Upcoming Reminders and/or Events:

• Trail Walk is on Wednesday. Parents are welcome to join us. You can let me know by signing up here or just show up Wednesday morning!
  • No school on Friday for students. It is a professional development day for staff only.
  • Thank you, parents, for signing up for FreshGrade. If you haven't yet, an invite was sent by FreshGrade to the email address you provided with the office at the start of the year. If you missed it, let me know and I can resend the invite. You can read more about FreshGrade for Parents here. Once you have created you password, you can download the free app for parents for your smart device or sign in from the FreshGrade site here. I will be posted 3-4 times a month. Students will be posting occasionally as well as commenting on posts. Parents are encouraged to comment on posts. It is a conversation between the parents, the teacher, and the student. You will only be able to view your child's portfolio. I have been enjoying reading the comments parents have posted already and look forward to sharing them with the students soon.
  • Note from the Courtyard: As you may know our Courtyard is a very bust learning and teaching area in our school and we are hoping to continue to build on the already solid foundation that is out there. For this reason we are hoping to collect grass clippings and coffee grounds. These are vital sources of nutrients for the soil. If you able to collect these for us we ask that you please drop them off in the labelled bins inside the Courtyard doors. This can be done during regular school hours. Also, if you happen to be stopping off for a coffee/tea at your local cafe and then coming to the school please ask them if you can have any grounds they have collected. They often have bags of them and it is a great way to get a large amount in one stop. Thank you! -The courtyard team.

Spelling: Unit 5 studies the 'el' sound spelled three different ways: /el/ as in towel, /al/ as in final, and /le/ as in whistle.

Reading Studio: This week we will be talking about the story mountain. We follow the story mountain to help us track our comprehension as we read. Stories start with a background on the characters and setting, rising action include events that lead up to the climax, or problem that needs to be solved, falling action is where we see the problem solved by the characters, and the story ends with a resolution. We are excited to have a visit this week from author Julie Lawson.

Writing Studio: This week we will be doing some themed-writing around Halloween. I wonder what spooky ideas they'll come up with!

Math Studio: We are practicing our rounding skills to finish up our unit on number sense. We will have our first quiz this week to show what we know.

Gym: We have wrapped up three weeks of soccer skills and will begin our soccer tournament this week. Tomorrow students will come up with a team name and have their first 2 games.

Computers: We continue our conversation on being a responsible digital citizen while we work through our digital passport this week. 

Science: Our Big Idea that we have been exploring is that matter has mass, takes up space, and can change phases. Today we made oobleck (sorry about the colourful hands going home today!) and will discuss this week why oobleck acts as both a solid and a liquid. Watch the video to make your own oobleck at home.  

Buddies: Our Grade 2/3 buddies in Mrs. Cavallin's class invited us to join them on a building project. They asked us to help them design a home for an animal or imagined character using found materials in nature. We made a plan last week, collected supplies, and created our designs today. I will post some pictures on FreshGrade and Twitter this week.

FSAs: Grade 4s will be starting the FSAs later in the month. This week we will start some practice sessions online.