News forum

Friday, May 1, 2020

Picture of Sherisse Norris
Friday, May 1, 2020
by Sherisse Norris - Friday, 1 May 2020, 3:38 PM

Happy May! I can’t believe April has passed us by and we are into a new month. I do miss connecting with students and families in person at this time, but have also been enjoying the virtual class chats, and receiving pictures and updates of the work and fun you are having at home. Here are some updates from me along with the weekly learning opportunities PDF for next week posted below:

• During our class chats this week, we talked about feelings and did an activity watching a YouTube video. That idea came from our province’s Everyday Anxiety Strategies for Educators (EASE). You can read about that activity and others on feelings here: EASE at Home - Finding Feelings

• Feedback on our bigger class chats was mixed - some liked it, some preferred smaller groups. I will offer both next week. I will send an email with those invites rather than posting it here. I will also include our class list in that email if you’d like to connect your child with a friend from the class virtually or by phone. Watch for this important email in your inboxes!

• In April I posted 3 videos to students from me on FreshGrade. This past Monday I posted it as an announcement - I thought this was best rather than populating your child’s FreshGrade portfolio with my face. Ha! If you missed it, check the announcements section either on FreshGrade Parent or Student - and stay tuned for the next one!

• Next week on my ‘to do’ list is to post an April month in review on FG. FreshGrade has always been a tool for ongoing conversation and collaboration between parents, teachers, and students. Now more than ever parents are partners in their children’s learning. I will post a general comment on the level of engagement I see in the remote learning opportunities offered. Some families are following their own programs at home that I may not see or know about, so I invite you to add a comment on those learning opportunities at home and join in on the conversation. I appreciate your input in this smile 

• Grade 5 Families: I am thinking ahead to class placements for middle school and I want to invite your input on this important task. Please take some time before next Friday (May 8th) to have a discussion with your child and fill in this google form together: https://forms.gle/gvfbo59BUTVPXyRi9 

COPY MY MESSAGE, PASTE, AND TRANSLATE IT HERE: https://translate.google.com/